Sunday, October 6, 2013

Healthy Mongolian

Mongolian BBQ is one of my favorite places to eat! I can no longer eat grains so I have no longer been able to eat there. BUT, Mongolian BBQ is definitely not one of the healthiest places to eat. With all the noodles you consume in one bowl along with all the oils and meat, the calories add up. I decided to try to make my own Mongolian dish by using spaghetti squash for the noodles. Yeah, the noodles are a lot different, but this meal definitely hit the spot I craved and was at least half the calories. I used what I enjoy putting on my noodles at the restaurant. The only thing that changed was the noodles. Also, I did not have any meat to add on it. Obviously feel free to add meat but I just used chopped up brazil nuts and it tasted awesome!

What is great about this dish is that there is not one set way to make it. If you have ever been to Mongolian BBQ or a restaurant of the like, you know that you add whatever you want with the desired amount of sauces and what not.

Here below is what I used. The sauces I use fit with my lifestyle and diet restrictions but I listed a few other sauces at the bottom of the post that I can't have but know tastes amazing for those who don't have diet restrictions :)
 
Healthy Mongolian
1 small spaghetti squash. (Use a bigger one, or more than one if you are serving more people)
Cubed pineapple
white onion
green peppers
zucchini, sliced/quartered
hot sauce
vinegar
coconut aminos (substitute for soy sauce)
sesame oil
garlic, minced
brazil nuts, (I processed them in a food processor so they were small pieces)
 
Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, put the halves back together again, then microwave for 8-10 min depending on the size.
 
While my spaghetti squash was microwaving, I was cooking all my ingredients on the stove. Add all the vegetables, fruits, and sauces to a pan set to med-high heat. Cook thoroughly.
 
When spaghetti squash is done, scoop out the noodles with a fork and add to the pan. Mix thoroughly and then add in your brazil nuts. ENJOY!

Here are some other things you can add if you are not sure of what to do:
broccoli
chili sauce
red pepper flakes
cabbage
green onion
teriyaki sauce
carrots
celery
chicken
lamb
beef
mushrooms
tofu
rice vinegar
soy sauce
....and the list goes on. Like I said, anything you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment