Monday, September 16, 2013

Honey Salmon Salad

Many of you can look up the benefits of eating salmon just on google so I am not going to list every thing that they can do for you. In fact, this link, WHFoods, is a great place to learn about the benefits.

It is definitely one of the healthiest types of protein you can eat. One benefit that I focus on is the certain proteins salmon contains that help to control inflammation in the digestive tract. This is definitely something that I find important for myself. So take a look at that website if you are interested in learning about some of the other benefits that salmon has that you might find important for yourself.

SO, I buy my salmon at Winco. Winco is the grocery store around here that I would say is somewhat similar to a Costco but you don't need a membership, and food doesn't necessarily come in bulk. The salmon I buy come individually wrapped and frozen in a large bag. It is Ocean Eclipse brand. Every once in a while I buy fresh, but it is much cheaper to buy this bag than buying fresh every time. We can usually get 3 meals out of it depending on how many we are feeding. The only ingredient is salmon. Nothing else is added which is what I look for. I read all labels to avoid hidden ingredients that aren't any good for the body.

Here is what I made with 3 salmon filets:


Honey Salmon Salad: 

3 Salmon Filets (If you are serving more, add more filets)
EVOO
Coconut Aminos (Or soy sauce)
Zucchini 
yellow squash
2 garlic cloves, minced
Honey
Fresh Lemon Juice
Lettuce of choice
salt, seasoned to taste

1. First, if your filets have skin, take the skins off the bottom by cutting them off with a sharp knife. I stayed close to the skin to try not to lose too much salmon to the skin. 
2. Choose a pan that will hold the three salmon filets.
3. Drizzle some EVOO in the frying pan (tilt pan back and forth until the oil coats the bottom of the pan). -Set to med-high heat.
4. Place filets into the oil and coat the tops of each piece of salmon with some fish sauce and coconut aminos. If you do not have coconut aminos then use soy sauce. (I can't have soy so I use Coconut Aminos as a substitute. It is also much lower in sodium)
5. Cook the salmon filets until the bottoms have browned and then flip them over, and place a lid over the top of them. Let them cook for about 4-5 mins. Time varies depending on the thickness of your filets.
6. When the salmon is all done cooking, place on a plate and set aside
7. Now add your desired amount of zucchini and yellow squash to the pan with the left over oil. --Add your minced garlic. Saute your vegetables until they become tender. Season with salt to your preferred taste.
8. Place your lettuce of choice on a plate, add some sauteed veggies, and then place your salmon filet on top. 
9. Drizzle over the top your desired amount of lemon juice and honey.
10. ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment