Monday, September 23, 2013

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash is AWESOME! It can be used so many ways and yet, so many people don't even know what it is. Spaghetti squash can come big and small, and they are oval shaped. You can prepare them in the oven or in the microwave. I used to prepare them in the oven but I have started taking the lazy/quicker route by cooking it in the microwave.

I was going to post a picture but go ahead and just type spaghetti squash into your google image search and tons of pictures are there showing a lot of the different ways it can be used.

After the spaghetti squash is cooked correctly, it literally strings out of the skin like noodles. Its amazing and can substitute for noodles, can make a great side dish, you can stuff it like you would a bell pepper, or you can get creative and make pizza crust out of it. You can season it any way you please and I know my sister in law even prepares it by just putting brown sugar on it after it is cooked. Such a great fall treat! My husband actually prefers spaghetti squash now over regular noodles and whats even better is that it contains way less calories :)

I have been able to find spaghetti squash at Raleys, Winco, Sprouts, and Whole Foods. They are in season right now, I believe; so they should be pretty easy to find.

I prepared spaghetti squash the other day for breakfast. Just added two fried eggs to the top:



Tomato and Basil Spaghetti Squash: Serves 2

1 small spaghetti squash
1 tbsp EVOO
Salt to taste
Basil to taste, fresh or dried
1 Green Onion, diced.
1-2 Tomato, diced (depends on size or your preference)
**Garlic would be a great addition to this as well as parmesan cheese

I cut my spaghetti squash in half, scoop the seeds out (feel free to roast these like pumpkin seeds), placed the halves back together, and placed in the microwave for about 8 min. The time really depends on the size of the spaghetti squash. If you don't cook it long enough, it will be harder to shred with a fork. If you you cook it too long, the squash is on the mushier side. 

When done cooking, use a fork to scrape out the "spaghetti noodles" from each half. I scrape them into a bowl and then throw away the skins.

Now I add the EVOO, basil, salt, diced green onion, and diced tomatoes. Stir until well combined.

Serve as a side dish for dinner or in my case, I served fried eggs over the top of them for a healthy breakfast. SO yummy and a great way to mix it up a bit!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! We are going to try this next week! Thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete