Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sweet and Beefy

Many people that I know or talk to have never heard of nutritional yeast. Honestly, I had no idea what it was until I started to search dairy free cheese options through Google and Pinterest.

Not only is it a great substitute for making a "cheesy" flavor in recipes, it also has a ton of nutritional benefits!

In 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, there are 6 grams of protein.
It is gluten, dairy, sugar and salt free. It is high in fiber and provides an immunity boost.
It contains many healthy minerals and is a great source of Vitamin B12 and Folic acid.

Go ahead and search yourself and you will find even more benefits than what I have mentioned above.

Where can you find nutritional yeast? I buy mine in the bulk section of my nearest health food store. I am sure you can find it on Amazon as well but I have yet to do that myself so I am not sure of what brand or type to recommend.

This recipe below is a great way to use nutritional yeast in your diet:



Sweet and Beefy Stir Fry

1 lb of ground beef
1 yellow squash
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 gypsy pepper, diced
1/4 onion, diced
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbs cumin
1/2 tbs paprika
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tbs honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bag of frozen broccoli ( I buy the steamable bags)
1/2 tbs basil
2-3 tbs nutritional yeast

-Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan and then pour onto a plate covered in paper towels, to soak all the grease. 
-Now add all the vegetables and garlic to the pan and set on med high. If you are using the steamable bag of broccoli, cook it in the microwave at this time, and then add to the rest of the veggies when done. 
-Add 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar and long with salt and pepper. Stir until cooked through.
-Return meat back to the pan. Mix together while adding all the seasonings and the last tbs of apple cider vinegar.
-Stir in 2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast and then 1 tbs of honey. 
-Serve it by itself, over rice or put it over some salad topped with your favorite salsa. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment